Kyo Zogan Making Experience
taught by Kyo Zogan Craftsmen of "Nakajima Zogan"
MBS "KYOTO CHISHIN" (Kansai local)2016.11.13 ＃29
Kyo Zogan Craftsmen
Ryuji NakajimaVIEW MORE
Contents of Experience
"Kyo Zogan" is a traditional handicraft in which a pattern is expressed by putting a beautiful gold and silver pattern onto a metal base which is then baked in lacquer. At Nakajima Zogan, we spread the practice of Zogan crafting which has a history of 1200 years. As we want people to feel close to this form of art, we are inviting people to join this Kyo Zogan Workshop. Why not come to feel the traditional craft with your own skin and try making your own favorite accessories?
Let's learn the basics of Zogan crafting
The experience starts with learning the basics of Kyo Zogan crafting. What is Kyo Zogan? How do you do it? The craftsman will show you how to make Zogan while answering your basic questions.
Selecting the mold of your craftwork
During the workshop itself, you can create cell phone straps or a pendant. At Nakajima Zogan, we also make "Nunome Zogan", which is a type that involves making a mold (texture) that is carved with fine lengths and widths of gaps which even the naked eye cannot see.
Choosing the design
Once you have chosen the mold, let's think of the design. Using pure gold or pure silver to make the design, think about what kind of patterns you would like to draw. Combining circles to make grape-like shapes, making a butterfly as a main component ... you can see a person's individuality from the artworks.
Starting the Nyukan Process
Now, we will start the process of "Nyukan" by hammering in the pattern into the mold (texture). Put in the patterns one by one, using a stick and a small hammer to hammer them into place. Since it is a fine process with no sketching, it requires everyone to be in concentration mode.
Getting the Nyukan done
To check whether the patterns are hammered in properly, a loupe is used to check the completion of your craft. Once you get the hang of the hammering process, you might be able to enjoy the hammering sound of the hammer.
Leave the rest to the craftsman
The experience ends with the Nyukan process. Leave the rest to the craftsman, who will handle the detailed processes; such as the corroding process, getting rid of the rust, prevention of rusting, baking in the lacquer, polishing, etc. Look forward to receiving your craftwork which will be delivered to your home on a later date.
- Name of the activity
- Kyo Zogan Making Experience
- 3,500 yen (tax included)
- Time required
- Approximately 1 hour. (9:30~15:30 on the reserved day)
- Number of admissions
- 2~40 people. (If you are signing up individually, the class will consist of 1~6 people)
- What to bring
- Nothing in particular
- English service available.
Head Office ・Studio
〒616-8376 Kyoto-shi Ukyo-ku Sagatenryuji Setogawacho 10-3
Arashiyama Shoryuennai Shop
〒616-8385 Kyoto-shi Ukyo-ku Sagatenryuji Mon-mae
※ This link will direct you to a third-party site.
Mr. Ryuji Nakajima's favorite place is...?
Coffee Shop Yamamoto
It is a coffee shop located within walking distance from Nakajima Zogan, with a retro interior and atmosphere. The coffee made by roasting fresh beans is a must try, and the toast, salads and morning sets that include scrambled eggs are also worth the price! It is a shop that carefully picks each ingredient and is recommended to those that want the real deal.
Coffee Shop Yamamoto075-871-4454
Kyoto-shi Ukyo-ku Sagatenryuji Setogawacho 9-7
- Kyo koma(tops) making experience
- Gold leaf stamping experience
- Tsuchi Twist Experience
- Japanese candle painting experience
- Hands-on braiding experience
- Making woodblock postcards
- Mini Japanese umbrella crafting experience
- Kyoto fan painting experience
- Denim Kyo-Yuzen-Zome Experience
- One-Day Kadou (Flower Arrangement) Experience
- Cherry Blossom Tsumami Zaiku Workshop
- Making your very own tegaki cherry blossom yuzen
- Experiencing handmade Kyoto-style confectionery
- Tegaki (hand-painted) Yuzen Experience
- Kyo Zogan Making Experience
- Scented sachet crafting experience, delivered by our craftsmen.
- Hanayui(flower head dress)Photo Plan
- KYOYAKI・KIYOMIZUYAKI Kochi painting
- Tote bag dyeing
- Tsumamizaiku [Pinching-craft] flower box making
- Mizuhiki-zaiku's flower card
- Making original mini lanterns
- Experience carving wooden covers of the stamp book
The events held at Machiya in Kyoto
轆轤町 (Rokuro-cho) and 髑髏 (Dokuro)
Enjoy "黙浴 (silent bath)" and Arts
"Mushi-sushi (Steamed sushi)" that we can eat to the end of February
釘抜地蔵 (The Kugi nail puller Jizo) in Kyoto
The inn where we can meet cats if we are lucky
Nishijin Specialty "たんきり飴"
The town name "天使突抜 (Tenshi-tsukinuke)" in Kyoto
The town name "閻魔前町 (Yen-ma Mae-cho)" in Kyoto
"仁丹の日 (Jintan no Hi)" and the board showing the town name of Jintan in Kyoto