Taught by Mizuhiki artist from 'Wa-Koubou (Japanese workshop) Houyu'Mizuhiki-zaiku's flower card
MBS "KYOTO CHISHIN" (Kansai local)2017.03.26 OA#47
Eriko MoritaVIEW MORE
Contents of Experience
Would you like to challenge yourself to Mizuhiki-zaiku taught by Ms. Morita Eriko who is a Mizuhiki artist? You will be creating a message card with "flower" which is perfect for beginners. Choose either cherry blossom, rose, or chrysanthemum and show your appreciation to your loved ones.
Decide flower shape and water drawing color
First, select the shape of the flower and the color of the mizuhiki. Flower shapes can be selected from cherry blossoms, roses, and chrysanthemums. After choosing the color of flowers and leaves respectively cut the mizuhiki. You can also choose a mizuhiki with glitter.
To make leaves
The first step is the leaf. Soften the mizuhiki with your hands and while threading through the loops, make three rounds of basic knots. It is ok if you are confused for Ms. Morita will slowly go through every step with you.
Creating the flower petal
Creating the flower petal is the next step. The challenge this time is the Cherry blossom and the rose. Petals are piled up in three patterns, large, medium and small. Alternate the petals for the rose.
Make the core of the cherry blossom yellow or white, and tape the stem with green tape. Arrange the petals in a jagged pattern one by one with hand. The center of the rose is made with mizuhiki and tape the stem with green tape.
Attach the flower to the message card
When the flower is completed, attach the flower to the message card. Thread your favorite colored mizuhiki through the leaf and fold along the message card. It is completed once you tie a knot on the back!
Although what you learned today was just the basics, if you apply the techniques, perhaps even you can create something poetic! Ms. Morita's workshop is lined with unique mizuhiki-zaiku using seasonal ingredients and animals as her inspiration.
- Name of the activity
- Mizuhiki-zaiku's flower card
- 2,600 yen (tax included)
- Time required
- 1 hour
- Number of admissions
- 2～6 people
- What to bring
- Nothing in particular
- English service available, only for elementary school children and above
Wa-Koubou (Japanese workshop) Houyu
Kyoto City, Shimogyo-ku, Ougisakaya-cho 276-2-505
※ This link will direct you to a third-party site.
Ms. Eriko Morita's
favorite place is..
Kyoto Gyoen (Kyoto Imperial Garden)
My favorite place is the Kyoto gyoen. It is beautiful regardless of the season and how the trees are growing freely is very unique. Bamboo plums, peaches, and the color of ginkgo biloba.... I am looking forward to taking a walk in the morning and evening and feeling the seasons. Observing plants also helps with Mizuhiki-zaiku.
Kyoto City, Kamigyo-ku Kyoto Gyoen 3
- Kyo koma(tops) making experience
- Gold leaf stamping experience
- Tsuchi Twist Experience
- Japanese candle painting experience
- Hands-on braiding experience
- Making woodblock postcards
- Mini Japanese umbrella crafting experience
- Kyoto fan painting experience
- Denim Kyo-Yuzen-Zome Experience
- One-Day Kadou (Flower Arrangement) Experience
- Cherry Blossom Tsumami Zaiku Workshop
- Making your very own tegaki cherry blossom yuzen
- Experiencing handmade Kyoto-style confectionery
- Tegaki (hand-painted) Yuzen Experience
- Kyo Zogan Making Experience
- Scented sachet crafting experience, delivered by our craftsmen.
- Hanayui(flower head dress)Photo Plan
- KYOYAKI・KIYOMIZUYAKI Kochi painting
- Tote bag dyeing
- Tsumamizaiku [Pinching-craft] flower box making
- Mizuhiki-zaiku's flower card
- Making original mini lanterns
- Experience carving wooden covers of the stamp book
Tengu and Ushiwakamaru in Kurama
"A-un no Tora" at Kurama-dera Temple
The Great Ema of Toyokuni-jinja Shrine and "Shofuku Byakko"
The Public bathhouse "Choja-yu" and Marche
A children's park that tells the story of Nue (鵺)
In folk belief, long-used or kept things become inhabited by a spirit
High school runners running through Kyoto in December
"Miyama Milk Soft Cream"
Demachi Shopping Street's "歳末大売出し (Year-end grand sale)"
"鵺 (Nue) Legend" of Shinmei-jinja Shrine